Sometimes life is full of challenges which leaves one feeling stressed, a sense of overwhelm, and perhaps not knowing what steps to take next. Ironically, those times of challenge are often fertile ground for our greatest growth. To borrow a quote, good timber does not grow with ease, the stronger the wind the stronger the trees. Sometimes the wind can feel like a hurricane, but like any windstorm, it does not last forever. However, sometimes, it is difficult to know what is the best path forward. My goal is to help you find the path forward, with courage, determination, and perhaps a bit of humor.
Unfortunately, people do not come with an instruction manual to reference when times get challenging. Fortunately, my goal in therapy is to help my clients see their problems differently, less overwhelming, and assist them in taking positive steps forward. Having worked in health care for over 3 decades (as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner), I have always been amazed at the resilience of people to overcome life’s challenges. Indeed, people are stronger and more capable than they realize. I will offer an objective perspective which will help bring clarity and illuminate your path forward.
Life happens to all of us. I hope to help each of my clients, move forward, in a positive manner. The tools they will learn and develop will hopefully assist them with other life’s challenges.
- Professional Groups:
- Nurses & Front line medical staff
- Social Workers
- Young adult, adult, retirement
- Sports Psychology
- Master Arts in Counseling Psychology (2022), Yorkville University
- Masters of Nursing – Nurse Practitioner (2013), Athabasca University
- Doctor of Philosophy in Women’s Studies (2009), University of Regina
- Masters of Science Degree in Health Promotion (1998), University of Alberta
- Bachelor of Nursing (1995), University of Lethbridge
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Expressive Art Therapy (Level 1 & Advanced)
- Hypnosis (Level 1 & 2)
- Integrative Trauma Certification
- Narrative Therapy (Level 1 & Applied)
- Mental Health First Aid
- Gottman Couple’s Therapy (Level 1)
Insurance & Direct Billing
Karen is covered by many insurance companies, however you will need to inquire with your carrier to ensure coverage. When you speak with them, note that Karen is a Registered Provisional Psychologist.
Availability & Location
Karen is currently offering sessions in the Edmonton office located at 12547 129th Street. This is in the North West corner near St. Albert Trail and the Yellowhead Hwy.
She also offers sessions via video counselling to clients located in Alberta or Yukon.
Registration & Licence
As a Provisional Psychologist, Karen has attained all required education to be registered in Alberta, however, she is required to practice under supervision while she continues to gain experience. For this, Karen is being supervised by Dean (David) Buhr, RPsych and Koreen Martfeld, RPsych.