Joy Medori, MC, MSc, Registered Provisional Psychologist
Joy is a Registered Provisional Psychologist with the province of Alberta and a member of the Psychological Association of Alberta. She has a Master of Counselling Psychology (U of L), a Master of Science in Family Ecology (U of A) and a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (AUC).
Challenges can be made more complicated by other factors that make solutions or the possibility of change seem out of reach. Joy believes that we all have histories; our relationships – present and past – or events we experience can leave a subtle or significant impact on how we live our lives today. The question is never about, what’s wrong with me but often about what has happened to me? By looking curiously at the patterns that we want to change, we can identify what those impacts may be, where they come from and look at how it either benefits or disadvantages us. How do we get there? Joy’s belief is that we have to look at our whole selves. This includes our brain, our bodies, our emotions and our relationships with others, and the interactions of all these parts. Through integration and processing, transformation happens. And then we heal.
In Joy’s work, she uses and borrows techniques from the following modalities: Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Mindfulness based Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Compassionate Inquiry, Systems Theory, Attachment Theory and Person-Centred therapy. For her work with children, she uses principles of Adlerian Play Therapy as well as Theraplay.
Joy’s experience is varied and she has worked with individuals, couples, families, children and adolescents. She has particular interest in attachment, relational issues, and challenges associated with post traumatic stress, anxiety and depression. She has had particular experience in the multicultural context helping families and children dealing with issues and barriers associated with the pre-migration experience and acculturation process. She is mindful and direct as well as compassionate and good-humoured. She is a mother, a wife, a sports enthusiast and a forever student of her profession.
- Children & Adolescents
- Counselling available in English or Tagalog
- Master of Counselling Psychology (2012); University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, AB
- Master of Science, Family Ecology (2011); University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology (2003); Augustana University College, Camrose, AB
Play Therapy Training
- Level 1 and Level 2: Theraplay
- Certificate in Sandplay with Special Populations using Play Therapy Skills and Techniques
- Certificate in Treatment of Trauma using Play Therapy Skills and Techniques
- Green Stream: Foundations of Play Therapy
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) for Couples
- Level 1 Sensorimotor Psychotherapy: Affect Dysregulation, Survival Defenses, and Traumatic Memory
- Compassionate Inquiry with Dr. Gabor Mate
- Ethics: Foundations, Informed Consent & Record Keeping
- Intergenerational Trauma: Impacts of Colonization and Assimilation
- Certified Trainer: Danger Assessment
- Certified Trainer: Domestic Violence Survivor Assessment
Insurance & Direct Billing
Joy is covered by most insurance companies. Please confirm with your provider that they cover Registered Provisional Psychologists to confirm.
Joy is also able to direct bill to:
- Alberta Blue Cross
- ASEBP (Alberta Teachers)
- Please inquire regarding other insurance companies
In addition to English, Joy is also able to offer services in Tagalog.